Which fictional character would you compare Bella to?I know she's talking niches here, and not character-to-character comparisons, but this just set my mind in a tither. I can honestly see the Jane Eyre, as that novel is a spin on the Beauty and the Beast motif of Gothic literature. And many arguments can be made about Rochester's treatment of Jane being similar to Edward's treatment of Bella. However, let's not forget Jane herself resented Rochester's treatment and went on a quest to seek her identity. She was then able to meet Rochester again as his equal, not by giving anything up, but by gaining her own independence. Bella may wish to be Edward's equal, but it will not be through gaining her independence that this will be attained.
I think that Jane Eyre and Elizabeth Bennet are more apt comparisons, in terms of the niche Bella fits into—despite the vampires, she is really a romance character. Having said that, I don't think that Bella has the complexity to become a legendary character. She has many good qualities, including loyalty and bravery, but she doesn't dig very deep intellectually or engage moral questions.
Bella, I believe it goes without saying, is no Elizabeth Bennett. PS, misspelled Bennett, SLJ
What are the educational benefits of this book?So...on the one hand, Bella doesn't dig deeply intellectually, but we should celebrate her intelligence?
Besides just getting kids to read—and these are real page turners—the books can be used educationally by looking at questions the texts themselves bring up (why are they so popular and is it good for girls to be identifying with Bella?) as well as linking them to other things we might be teaching, like religion and mythology.
Bella's character, what she is modeling for young women, is a good thing to explore. On the one hand, she seems to represent a step backward in terms of role models. She will marry very young, she is willing to exchange her humanity for an eternity with her boyfriend, she gets pushed around quite a lot, and she needs to be rescued frequently. On the other hand, she has redeeming qualities including her intelligence, her willingness to put her life on the line to save her loved ones, and her total acceptance of people society would label monsters.
Hey, I belong to the it doesn't matter what they're reading as long as they're reading school, don't get me wrong. But, compelling as the story is, it's just not good writing. In fact, it is some of the suckiest writing this side of a Harlequin Romance novel. And I just don't see the value of such novels as educational models of any sort. The same mythic/religious connection and themes can also be found in many Charles de Lint novels, which are much better written and have stronger mythos. Yes, discuss these novels in your book club and have the debates. But please, for the love of all that is holy, do not think you can find educational benefits in this series. Unless your educational benefits involve not good writing and how to recognize unhealthy relationships.
And before anyone accuses me of taking this all too seriously, remember I got this from School Freaking Library Journal, not Julie's Super Vampire Love Blog. These books are now a phenomenon. On some level, we should take them seriously.
Okay, truly done now. We are not, of course. That book is coming out tonight. The movie is coming out...sometime (I have no idea). And teh internets will be buzzing about this for some time. So while I am certain I will read much much more about the subject, this will be the last time I post about it. I is tired.
PS, AMC - you will tell me what happens, right? Don't make me read it off Julie's Super Vampire Love Blog.
ETA: I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out. I feel like an idiot. In attempting to assess what it is about the writing and story structure that bug me so much, it occurred to me that this shit is no better than romantic/erotic fanfiction. I'm serious. All the themes and conventions I've come to expect (and - guiltily - sometimes love) in my fanfic (dependence!devotion, over-exposition, hyperbolic descriptions of people) are all here. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find that's where Ms. Meyers got her start. So while I cannot (and never have) state I do not understand the appeal, it still rankles me for many reasons.

10 comments:
I was told tonight about these books
"not your style at all, very gushy romance"
yep, not me whatsoever.
and I cannot see the appeal in them whatsoever.
I just used whatsoever twice
Of course I'll tell you, but "Mary Sue Whats-it" will most likely be finished reading before I do -- provided I survive the party. At this point I'm just praying she wraps up the Italian Vamp plot line -- oh and I'll be the one in the Jacob T-Shirt Saturday night.
A propos of very little, you just reminded me that a few weeks ago a clue in The Guardian newspaper's quiz (it's a "quality" newspaper) included the name Bennett, and we were meant to get the answer even though they meant Bennet. I emailed them a letter, but they didn't publish, surprise, surprise. And it's a paper that has SO many pedantic readers, too.
MY BAD: Val just very kindly pointed out why I shouldn't get my vitriol up when I'm sleep-deprived. Because on any other day, I know it's spelled "Bennet" like I know how the husband takes his coffee. As such, I feel I deserve my shame to remain posted and will not make the necessary correction (as much as that makes me itch). I takes my licks when I deserve them.
aaaanndd NOW that I have been witness to the party that ms thinkables mentioned, AND been told the basic story outline of this last book...
I need a hug....
I'm afraid...
What's worse? A badly written book, or a critic talking about the book as though it weren't bad? Hmm... chicken or the egg? Elizabeth Bennett, holy crap. The very fact that she pursues the guy puts her in a different league. Perhaps the Ms. Clarke meant to say Pepé Le Pew.
I go with the "talking about the book as though it weren't (badly written)." Look at it this way. Love them or hate them (and I love them), most agree the Harry Potter series isn't the most spectacular writing for kids that's available these days (still eons better than Twilight, I hasten to add). But the the HP series offers kids something infinitely more important, universal themes that apply to their own lives and choices they may have to make, characters that many kids can identify with, and adults who don't necessarily fall into the black/white world of kids' fiction (also mirroring real-world situations). Therefore, the HP series, no matter how it's written, should be talked about. Twilight offers none of these things, AND has sucky writing.
I ramble.
Heratic, I'd offer you a hug, but you may need it more after the movie comes out.
Sorry, honey, did I misread? I thought you were correcting someone else's misspelling of the name and I was adding my support, not criticising! No licks intended, so please don't take them.
I wouldn't have noticed the misspelling if you hadn't commented. Then one day, I would have. And it would have driven me nuts. So thanks for the support! ;D
Haha, she also corrected my (poorly written) comment.
Post a Comment