It's blog action day and all I did was talk about myself.
I'm supposed to write something about poverty. I can't even focus on it because when I think about how connected we all are and how, when thinking that, we should all be going to bed hungry, I feel all overwhelmed. Don't believe me? Where were your clothes made? Who picked the fruit and vegetables you eat? Where did the wood that made the furniture you sit, eat, work, and sleep come from?
Poverty touches us all, if we know how to look around and see it. I'm not saying this because I think we should all feel guilty. I don't think guilt is a very healthy motivator. I say it to make you more aware. To make myself more aware. Opening my eyes to the interconnectedness of us all helps me not get lost in my own head. It also keeps me honest. We are all hypocrites, if we look closely enough.
I do not have the funds right now to donate to the cause that will alleviate my guilt for the day. I know, I said not to feel guilty, but the reaction is like breathing for me. So I write this meaningless jumble of words, hoping to open one other person's eyes. Or at least try to.
Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer
3 days ago

5 comments:
You do not need money to change the world.
Well, I know that, of course, but I feel my tiny little people-oriented ways are of little use right now.
I'm pretty tapped out funds-wise due to donating to the Obama cause because I'm so determined to do what I can to help him win. I think helping him win will probably help everything else in the long run.
Or I could just be fooling myself into thinking I am doing a good thing so I'll feel better.
I never meant to imply I thought everyone should donate money! I was trying to...oh crap, I don't really know what I was trying to do. I just felt guilty because I hadn't posted anything and so there we are....
Do not mind the woman behind the curtain of self-righteousness.
All most of us can do is donate, though, really. I get upset when charities and action groups I already donate to phone up to ask for more. Firstly the people they employ are paid for their work; then I already give as much as I can (more than I can afford now, really, since my income fell).
My main contribution to reducing my carbon emissions is to use the vacuum cleaner as rarely as possible...
Post a Comment